Many dog lovers are passionate about having a specific category of dog, and willing to give substantial amounts for a purebred. This has led to the emergence of dog breeding business. The dog breeder can provide these dog lovers the breed that they admire and make a significant amount of money in exchange!
The dog breeder is someone who knows about the genetics of dogs and mates the selected breeds of dogs to produce offspring of desired traits. The whole process of breeding will be the dog breeder’s job, including, caring for both the female and the male dog as well as the puppies and providing them with a secure and safe facility. Seems tiring but is enjoyed by dog lovers who are enthusiastic about it.
The dog breeding business seems fun and easy money, but it can cost the dog breeder a lot. Such as,
- There’s a possibility that the dog gives birth to lesser puppies. Leaving lower chances of more profits for the dog breeder.
- The breeder will have to pay breeding costs such as Brucellosis testing, Stud-service fee, Progesterone tests, Ultrasound, and X-ray.
- Moreover, the birthing process can be complicated, causing further complications and outflow of money if an emergency occurs, such as a C-section for the mother dog.
- A significant amount of fund is required after the birth in terms of deworming, vaccines, registrations and micro chipping.
- If the interested client lives overseas, breeder will have to pay for the shipping costs as well, and would require a certificate from the vet, concerning the health of the pet.
- With vet costs, there are costs such as buying litter, supplements, and food for the puppies as well.
- Also, once the breeder is through the process, he might fall in love with the puppies himself too, and it makes it even harder for him to give them away. With a hundred percent blind trust, that the family will take care of them.
On the contrary, there are certain pros associated with the business – the biggest being the profit. The profit however, depends upon the health of the dog and the specific breed. Moreover, it is a business where one person can manage the overall operations from beginning to the end. Furthermore, once you are an experienced dog breeder, you can cut down the expenses that will result in higher profit margins.