All of us have learned from cartoons or movies that dogs love bones, which is, in fact, true too! You give a bone to your dog, and he/ she might not stop chewing it for the rest of the day, and even if they stop, they will still keep the bone by their side. However, it is important to comprehend if the bone is safe for your dog or not?
This is a complicated topic, as there are some kinds of bones, which are not recommended for them to be chewed because of the dangers the bones can cause. A ‘cooked’ bone is always to be avoided. The cooked bone is far dangerous than a raw bone as the latter is more natural, soft, and edible.
However, the safety of raw bones is also dependent upon certain factors.
Some of the problems, or a better word, ‘horrors’ associated with chewing bones by dogs are listed below:
- Teeth fracturing or cracking due to chewing of hard/ cooked bones
- Oral damages such as cuts in gums or tongue or, pieces of bones getting stuck in the lower molars
- Choking due to a chunk of bone getting stuck in the throat of the dog
- Digestion problems due to bones not being able to digest appropriately leading to a hurried surgery
- Bones passing through the esophagus can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation for the dog
The bones that are strictly off-limits are cooked poultry bones as they easily splinter and damage the stomach as well as the intestines of the dog when chewed.
For the dog’s requirement, there are various other substitutes to chewing bones, which you can provide them. However, you must supervise the dog when something is given them for chewing purposes to be sure that the dog is safely enjoying the bone . The alternatives include various dog toys, which are specially created for the dog’s urge to chew, dental chews, a variety of dog treats, rawhide bones; processed hides of cow or horse, frozen carrots, fish skin, sweet potato chews, etc.
Surely your dog would demand a bone but, does that mean you feed them what can be dangerous for their health? If the bone has not caused trouble up till now, it cannot eliminate the risk that it won’t happen in the future too. Thus, you must protect your friend’s health.